Friday, October 1, 2010

Transition

My life isn't necessarily new to change or transition and I don't necessarily shy away from it but this change seems to be different for some reason.  As a friend said, it is "pivotal" . . . I like that. 

It is strange to me to leave a position that I truly loved.  It was the first time in my professional career where I truly felt I was a respected and valued member of a team.  Actually, more than one team.  The relationships created will stay with me forever.  Memories of thinking till my brain was numb, being energized by conversation, creating and innovating new ways of approaching work with schools and the synergy of sharing in the work of doing what's best for kids.

"Best for kids" is the only reason I am leaving . . . maybe it sounds ironic, but now I am talking about my own 3 kids.  Traveling to Grant Wood AEA would have me on the road 2.5 hours a day.  As another friend said, decisions about job changes made for family are never wrong.  With my new position that starts today at UNI I will only be gone from home for travel about an hour.  And the opportunities to work with both pre-service and in-service teachers on something that matters: quality teaching, seems like a great place to be.

So the new journey begins today with the support of my friends at Grant Wood AEA and a new sense of eagerness to meet the co-workers with which I will join on this five year venture through the $9 million dollar grant.  Here we go!

Thank you for opportunities and courage to try the unknown . . . where would our world be without people who ventured in these ways~

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the beginning of your exciting new adventure in education! Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I wish you all the best on your new adventure and look forward to hearing about all the new challenges and opportunities. While transitions mean we leave something behind and move to something else, everything brought us to where we are now and need to be. Take care! Hope to talk soon.

    ReplyDelete