Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Room with a View

As I hit the top of the stairs on the fifth floor I look out onto the campus, catching my breath, and check the time on the Campanile.  Then I round the corner into 525 where I am greeted to an office with windows!  In the Schindler Education Center (sort of a roundish square building with a strange room numbering system)these are high commodity spaces and I am thrilled to have the view.  From the far side of the office I can look west and get a view of the UNI Dome.  Oddly enough, there are people walking on top of it as I write.  I am told they are doing repairs . . . not the type of work I would want to do.  I wonder if they do windows though (the windows here on the 5th floor need washing!)  From my desk as I look out I am oriented toward the south and I see West Gym, the Curris Business Building, the Strayer-Wood Theater, the Communication Arts Center and the Kamerick Art Building.  It really is a great view!  If you are ever on campus, let me know or stop by.  My phone on campus is 319/273-7631.

Yesterday (I am still not "on" the date yet~the remodeling project at home has me displaced and staying at my mom's for a bit and just don't have it all together yet) I received my keys for my office and this building.  One small step at a time it is feeling like a new home.  I have a picture of the kids in here and one from Isle Royale but due to the remodeling project at home I still haven't found all my items to bring to personalize my space yet. . . that day will come.

Mary gave me a tour of the building (six floors and a basement) yesterday.  Not only was I able to meet some new folks but I was also able to get reaquainted with several from my past.  Most notably, a former roommate of mine from my short stint off-campus during my senior year at Wartburg (fall of 1985).  When Mary said Jane Bentley-Gadow, my jaw dropped.  Although Jane was in class with students, Mary could see the urgency in my eyes to reconnect with this piece of my past.  Jane instantly recognized me and we shared a hug and laughter for a brief moment before Mary and I continued on our way and allowed Jane to complete her work.  I look forward to popping in on her again today.

Barb Hill from Tripoli is also in the building; a friend from my days as naturalist in Pocahontas County is adjunct and a doctoral student, Beth Van Meeteren; Greg Stefanich and Linda McCartney are here from my days in graduate school; Linda Nebbe is just down the hall, whom I knew in my naturalist days as a rehabilitator; Lois Lindell is also here and I knew her from Wartburg as well.  So many new and familiar faces and all very welcoming.  And the package comes with a room with a view~life is good!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to have you be a part of this important project! I'll be following your blog on this new adventure. Tell Beth Van Meeteran "hi" for me. I worked with her in Laurens long ago and far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pam! So good to hear from you! I just came from Beth's office . . . I will send greetings. You both have fond places in my heart from my days in Pocahontas. Hope to run into you again soon~

    ReplyDelete