Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Orientation

Today was Orientation for new employees.  Evidently they hold these sessions once a month.  It just so happens that I have begun my position already on October 1.  And I have already needed to take emergency leave even though I didn't know how to account for it until now.  sigh~

The session began at 8 am and it went until 4:30.  Many different campus personalities arrived at various times during the day to tell about what was offered.  Highlights included two free tickets to a Gallagher Bluedorn performance and a free day pass to the Wellness Center!

Besides learning about various services we were also informed about our benefits (of which there are several) and vacation/holidays.  As an 11 month P&S faculty member I will need to work 208 days with 9 paid holidays.  Mostly I think I understand but there is much more to this than I figured.  The UNI website is rich with information if I only take the time to look.  Something particularly new to me is that I will need to fill out a monthly time card.  This time card is for us to indicate when we are not at work and to indicate the reason why.  I hope I remember to do this!

Lunch was on Human Resources.  We ate right in the Union which I hadn't done since 1990 when I think there was a Hardees to choose from.  Times have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment